May 22, 2005

Adversity

It happens to all of us. No matter how successful we may be, at times things happen to bring us down, make us doubt ourselves and our sanity, or add to our stress. When adversity hits, the only way out is through. This weblog is designed to help get you through the hard times.

I'm an expert at surviving tough times and overcoming obstacles, because I've had more than my share. Maybe the information you find here can be a light in your darkness, or just the word you need to encourage you when you think there's no hope at all.

When we're struggling with hard times, we just want it to GO AWAY. Unfortunately, things just don't go away. We're very rarely "delivered" out of our problems. Things usually don't magically happen to take the bad stuff away. Only time and persistence get us past the difficulties into a new phase.

Still, there are some ways to handle adversity that I'd like to share with you. I know these work, because I'm still here.

You might say I've been:

  • Burned out, kicked out, cussed out, and worn out;
  • Locked up, trussed up, pent up, and fed up;
  • Smashed down, broken down, pulled down, and kept down;
  • Pushed over, looked over, thrown over, and held over;
  • Forsaken, mistaken;
  • Cheated, and mistreated...
But I'm STILL HERE.

You can overcome adversity by getting up more times than you've been knocked down. I personally know how hard it is to keep getting up. Boxers take a pounding, and when they're hit hard enough, they go down. The fight isn't over yet -- if they get up again. Let me tell you, in my life, I've been flattened a bunch of times, and taken a whole lot of standing eight counts, but I've never been knocked out completely. I've always managed to get up, somehow, -- one more time.

All you need to do is hang in there one more day. And then another. And then another. If trying to take it one day at a time is too much, then take it one hour at a time, or even one minute at a time. "For just this minute, I am going to keep going. "

Quitting on life isn't the answer. It's only a short term solution that takes away forever your ability to come up with any other solutions. So don't even think about it. EVER.

Where there is life, there is hope. That's all you need to do -- keep hoping things will get better, because they will. Over time (and sometimes it seems like it's a LONG time...) things will indeed get better. I'm not promising you that things will suddenly become perfect. That is unlikely. But as long as you keep striving, no matter how broken down and tired you are, there is a chance for improvement in your situation. There's always a chance. Every new day brings new possibilities.

Time + Perseverence = Success. Enough time, enough perseverence, eventually there will be some success. And you'd be surprised -- sometimes there are even miracles!

Stick with me, and I'll prove it to you.
--Beth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger